The "All Green" Grand National 2012

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 :lol Sad isnt it! I tend to have a few initial bets in May/June time, then leave it till Octoberish when the jumps season gets going again. I'll post up in the coming days.

• 1 month later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Ok, here we go. I've had a few bets to get this started but I probably wont have anymore interest until the jumps season starts again. I've got some orders outstanding on betfair but they are pretty optimistic so im assuming they wont get matched.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Denman £5 @ 90.0 There has been talk of Denman being a future National horse for some time now but it has been swerved in order to favour the higher class of race he is more accustomed to racing in. He isn’t getting any younger and has won only 1 of his last 10 races. With that in mind, there is more than a suspicion he isn’t going to be as competitive in future. Although he has all the credentials to run well in the National, my hunch is that connections won’t risk him. So why am I betting him? Simply that at 90.0, he is worth a small bet because if they did decide to run him, he would go off as one of the market leaders. If they don’t, then I’m pretty sure I can trade out at some point anyway. Becauseicouldntsee £5 @ 65.0 Always thought last year was a year too soon for this one but connections were keen to run him, even though he had an injury in the build up to the race. He ran way too fresh in the race itself and fell at the third. A return is almost certain to be on the cards for next season and another season’s experience will prove vital to this promising stayer. Poker de Sivola £10 @ 42.2 Pretty pleased with this price as he is a winner of two big Grand National trials, in particular the National Hunt Chase at the Cheltenham Festival in 2010. He has had the National confirmed as his target for 2012 and assuming an injury free campaign will be lining up shorter than the price I have secured here. Sunnyhillboy £20.50 @ 51.46 Has appreciated it every time he has been stepped up in trip. Most recently in the Irish National, he was staying on the strongest of all, so may get even further. He has the excellent Old Vic in his breeding, which bodes well given his excellent record in the Grand National in recent years. An O’Neill/McManus horse, I cant believe they wont consider the National for him and who knows, Maybe he will end up as McCoys mount on the day? Getting a bit ahead of myself there but 50/1 looks a decent price for now. Western Charmer – £6 @ 133.33 Dessie Hughes has had a couple of well respected entries for the last couple of years in Balck Apalachi and Vic Venturi. BA will be 13 next year and VV has failed to complete at both attempts so there must be question marks over their participation next year. A glance at options for Hughes, if he was to go down the Grand National route again, brings the prospect of novice Western Charmer, who was an excellent 2nd in the Irish National this year. Faasel £5 @ 150.0 Currently rated 137 which may not be enough to get him in the race, however he will be aimed at it, as confirmed by trainer David Pipe. Has some decent form at 3m+ without winning – he has a frustrating habit of finishing 2nd which is why his handicap mark has hovered in the late 130s, however a 2nd place behind Poker de Sivola in the Bet365 Gold Cup, and two 2nd places behind well handicapped Junior in 2011 and Ballabriggs in 2010 in the Kim Muir at Cheltenham, suggest he has a decent race in him. I think 150.0 should be tradeable at some point. Merigo £10 @ 110.0 This one has been entered for Aintree the last two years but hasn’t made the cut on either occasion. However if he can maintain his mark of 141, he should get in. There will be a temptation for connections to go for the Scottish Grand National, a race he has finished 1st and 2nd in for the last two years but I imagine he will get another entry for Aintree whilst they consider their options and if he does, this price looks too good to be true. The Midnight Club £8.27 @ 32.0 Went into last years race with a textbook prep, running well in a few of the traditional Grand National trials. There is a suspicion it came a year too early for him and he should be better equipped to beat his 6th place this time around. Mullins seems to aim him at the same kind of races that Hedgehunter used to run in and I think a similar approach will be taken this year with The Midnight Club.

• 2 months later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Three motnhs since I updated this! Well with the jumps season underway, tjhis thread will become more active over the coming months. I will update properly shortly but for now I will post a time sensitive bet in the form of CHICAGO GREY, who runs today at Cheltenham. The winner of a historically good Grand National Trial at Cheltenham, the below par Scottish National run that followed can be excused as he ran flat and it arguable came too soon for him. The stable has a decent Grand National pedigree and he will be aimed at the race.

“His target is the Grand National and, in all likelihood, he will run in the Becher Chase at Aintree in early December”
There is every chance he could run a good race today, as he goes well fresh and is proven on the course. So id want to take the 36.0 on offer at the moment. Chicago Grey £7 @ 36.0

Thanks mate. Chicago Grey was running the perfect race, staying on well and looming large, until making a hash of the penultimate fence and unseating. He certainly would have been involved in the finish. On the bright side his handicap mark shouldn't be affected. Pleasing overall.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 With the jumps season starting, this thread will become more active and as such, I have some updates. I have backed Sunnyhillboy as detailed previously and was able to lay off the entire stake of £20.50 at 34.0, giving a free bet at about 16/1. I was happy to do this due to the post-race comments from Jonjo O’Neill implying he would return to Fairyhouse next year rather than go to Aintree. 25Apr11 Fairyhouse ( 29 Gd ,RPR151 ) Richie (McLernon) said he was a bit unlucky as the horse was almost brought down four out. He´ll come back here next year.-Jonjo O´Neill, trainer. However, since then there appears to have been a change of heart quoted in the RP season preview as saying: “He’s back and in grand form. It was unlike him to fall and he hurt a joint when it happened (Chelt Fest in Stewart Family Chase), but he got over that and is in good nick. I was amazed with his run in Ireland – he jumped great and stayed on really well, so his season might end up at Aintree. Before that it will be a simliar story really, decent two-and-half to three mile chases” In the meantime he has drifted to 50.0.0 and I am happy to top this up. I’ll be surprised if he isnt given an entry at Aintree and he has every chance of being McCoys mount if the season goes to plan. LAY - Western Charmer £6 @ 65.0 This one has shortened markedly since I backed him at 133.33. I layed off at 65.0, which in hindsight was premature as he is now trading at 40.0, which is annoying. He looks like he will be aimed at the race with the stable making noises that he will run in the Becher Chase. The trainer/owner combo are the same resposible for Black Apalachi, whose time may have passed now, so they won’t be averse to an entry in the race. Runner up in the Irish National is a positive for the big one in April and we now have a free bet at 67/1. BACK - King Fontaine – £5 @ 170.0 National experience is a positive and he completed in 11th last year. He was a big improver last year and he could well improve again this year. Denis O'Regan was positive after the race which could sway connections to have another crack. Owned by Trevor Hemmings, who likes an entry in the National. "My horse ran a blinder. I was a bit slow earlier and nearly got brought down. He jumped like a buck. He's only a novice and will be an ideal spin next year."

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Back - Synchronised £6 @ 118.3 A Welsh National winner and twice winner of the Midlands National over 4m2f, he is proven over long distances. He needs soft ground and there is a suspicion he jumps a bit low to take to the National fences. However, he got an entry last year and I suspect he will get one this year too. Could do with a drop in the ratings a bit but is another one that should be tradeable at some point. A possible mount for McCoy if he does line up. Runs today in a hurdle race.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Trainer Gordon Elliott believes Chicago Grey could be a John Smith’s Grand National prospect following his fine effort at Wetherby on Saturday. The eight-year-old could first take in the Welsh version at Chepstow as well as other major marathon handicap chases, but he might not go for the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury. Elliott was delighted with the gelding’s third place behind Weird Al in the Charlie Hall Chase. “He ran a great race and has come out it perfect. We’ll be looking at the long-distance races with him now,” he said. “The Welsh National first and the Grand National long-term for him. “He’s entered in the Hennessy but I might just give it a miss as they might run him off his feet at Newbury.”

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Uncle Junior £7 @ 282.84 A big priced selection here. He reminds me of Mullins’ Ballytrim who got an entry last year and was trading at around 20/1 before being pulled out through injury. Uncle Junior won the same race Ballytrim did in 2009 and has run with credit in both the Kerry and Munster Nationals in his last two runs. He runs at Cheltenham today in the X-Country and is the main threat to favourite Garde Campetre. A decent run there will see this price collapse, I’m sure. If he runs badly, then its likely money down the drain. But he looks like he is still improving, especially over longer distances so I’m hopeful.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Uncle Junior won, :) which was great news, however I was a little disappointed with the price now available. He has shortened, but only to 160.0, when I would have liked a double figure price to lay off at. I think I will hold fire for now.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 A bit of trading today. King Fontaine was available to lay off at 90.0 so I took advantage of that, giving me a free bet on him @ 79/1. LAY - King Fontaine £5 @ 90.0 Two of the main Grand National trials are considered to be the Welsh National and the Eider Chase. Well, Giles Cross has finished runner up in both of those, yet is available to back at prices in excess 400/1. He probably lacks a bit of class but if the ground was to turn up soft on the day, there wouldnt be many as well equipped as him to run a big race. He got an entry this year but missed the cut. He is rated 134 so would probably miss the cut again if the race was to be run today, but having performed so consistently over marathon distances last season, i think he has a win in him which would push his mark up to the desired level. He runs at Folkestone tomorrow over 3m4f and looks set to run a big race there. I'll be surprised if I cant trade this further down the line. BACK - Giles Cross £6 @ 416.7

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Not my idea of the winner as i think his last two runs in the race have shown he doesnt stay the trip however, Ferdy Murphy is bullish in his stable tour and despite my reservations, 60.0 is too big a price. He will run in the Becher where he is very capable of running a big race over a shorter trip on a course he likes. “He ran a huge race in the Grand National last season and for a long way I thought he was going to win it. However, he had a hiccup after the last and stopped very quickly. He was distressed after the race so we sent him to Liverpool university for a thorough set of tests and they found a few little things which we can turn around. The big plan is the same as last season with all roads leading to the Grand National. He could run in the Becher Chase on December 3 first. He needs good ground. “ BACK - Big Fella Thanks - £5 @ 60.0

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 A bit of interest today: 2.30 Haydock - Synchronised 2.30 Haydock - Sunnyhillboy 3.40 Haydock - Merigo I'd be looking for a decent run from Sunnyhillboy over 3 miles and despite running off a career high mark, i think he has further improvement in him over longer distances. Whilst I will be keeping an eye on Merigo in the 3.40, I fancy Killyglen to run a big race. Fit from hurdling, he is on a decent mark and has McCoy on board who is 3 wins from 5 runs for the stable. I'm going to back him for the GN, in anticipation of a good run today. BACK - Killyglen £5 @ 42.0

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012

Two of the main Grand National trials are considered to be the Welsh National and the Eider Chase. Well, Giles Cross has finished runner up in both of those, yet is available to back at prices in excess 400/1. He probably lacks a bit of class but if the ground was to turn up soft on the day, there wouldnt be many as well equipped as him to run a big race. He got an entry this year but missed the cut. He is rated 134 so would probably miss the cut again if the race was to be run today, but having performed so consistently over marathon distances last season, i think he has a win in him which would push his mark up to the desired level. He runs at Folkestone tomorrow over 3m4f and looks set to run a big race there. I'll be surprised if I cant trade this further down the line. BACK - Giles Cross £6 @ 416.7
A pleasing win for Giles Cross, however the handicapper has left his rating unchanged :wall It does leave him on a winnable mark for the Welsh National in December so i could wait for that but he has shortened in price to 200/1 ish so am happy enough to lay off at that price given that he needs to win the Welsh National to get into the Aintree version now. LAY - Giles Cross - £6 @ 202.6

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 I'm not sure if this one is going to be aimed at the National, but the price hopefully compensates for that. Always Right, a prolific hunter chaser last season ran an eyecatching race in the Scottish Grand National, finishing 3rd, beaten less than a length by Beshabar, and a neck by runner up Merigo. Available at 140/1, that seems a discrepancy to me, considering Beshabar is available to back at about 25/1. Always Right has the stamina, will be the right age and is fairly rated at 142. Worth an interest.